Saturday 18 December 2010

A Fortune of Frugality

In my efforts to be somewhat frugal, I have found a great little Chinese take-out restaurant within walking distance of my office with great food at a great price. In the fortune cookie that came with my meal today I received the following: “You shouldn’t overspend at the moment. Frugality is important.”

Certainly, practicing frugality is an important thing to do more often than “at the moment” when one considers the bigger picture of economic downturns, saving for a home, college, retirement, or building wealth. But, like many things, being frugal is sometimes more easily talked about than practiced.

Even the fact that I found someplace to eat within walking distance in order to save gas is overshadowed by the fact that I am still spending money for a lunch that could be even less if I packed one from home–even though I love Chinese food and the potstickers are the best I’ve ever had. (Fortunately for me, I have a great spouse who effectively, yet subtly, reminded me that I should be more conscious of my spending by making me a lunch earlier this week.)

So here’s the tip this week: Frugality is always a good idea. How to do it is up to you, but here is some helpful strategy advice from Wikipedia regarding “Frugality“: “Common strategies of frugality include the reduction of waste, curbing costly habits, suppressing instant gratification by means of fiscal self-restraint, seeking efficiency, avoiding traps, defying expensive social norms, embracing free (as in gratis) options, using barter, and staying well-informed about local circumstances and both market and product/service realities.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean