Saturday 18 December 2010

“You want to do what?!?”

A recent discussion with my wife about our long-term retirement hopes was very revealing. The discussion went something like this:

Wife: “When you retire I think it would be fun to go to culinary school together and consider opening a restaurant. We have so much fun in the kitchen talking and cooking.”

Me: “Yeah. That would be fun. It would be a lot of work, but it would be fun. But what I would really like to do when I retire is be Donald Duck.”

Wife: “You want to do what?!?”

Me: “I want to be Donald Duck at Disneyland or Disney World. I think it would be fun seeing all those happy kids everyday. Don’t you?”

Wife: “I guess, weirdo. But wouldn’t it be easier and more fun being with me doing something we both enjoy?”

At that point I knew she had issued a checkmate, and I had best think about my plans more as our plans to stay out of trouble. It was also apparent that both ideas carried financial implications we have never discussed. Culinary school and funding a business are not cheap, nor is relocating to Anaheim or Orlando.

Consequently, a study from Fidelity Investments indicates this type of discussion is not entirely unusual. It finds we are not doing a very good job talking about our long-term financial goals with our significant others.

The study reports that only 45% of couples regularly discuss finances. And when it comes to retirement plans, 60% of couples don’t agree when they’ll retire, and 42% are like me and my wife–they don’t agree on what kind of life they’ll lead after they retire.

Does your significant other know your financial goals? Do you know his or hers?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean