Saturday 18 December 2010

What Really Matters?

When the stresses of life and work bog us down it’s easy to forget the things that really matter or are of the most value to us. Here are three things that I have been reminded of recently that may be of some value to you, too:

Relationships One of my peers recently reminded me that while we’re working hard to handle the pressures of the economy on the bank and the daily duties we face, that we can’t forget we have families and relationships to strengthen. As one blogger effectively said it: “The regular companionship and camaraderie of people you care about and share interests with is continually life-affirming. [Relationships] don’t revolve around the things you have or the activities you can afford – they revolve around people and shared experiences.”

Gratitude I find that the more I’m focused on the things I do have, rather than focusing on that which I do not, that I am more cheerful and giving. I become more positive in my thoughts and speech. I become more content to work harder to reach my goals. I have more purpose in my daily actions and interactions. Cicero said “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Service Helen Keller said, “Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves.” It is in the act of helping others that many receive a great deal of personal joy and satisfaction – something that cannot be replaced by any sort of material item.

What really matters to you? What do you value most?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean