Friday 17 December 2010

Is Banking Just a Chore?

Today I learned there are studies that show people view banking as a chore. The remarkable thing about this statement is not that people view banking as a chore, but that studies are actually being conducted to point out the rather obvious. I didn’t need to read this to know it—I work at a bank, after all, and you can tell by the looks on the faces and harried behaviors of many that “going to the bank” is something that has to be done.

As a bank customer, I’m aware of the feeling that it’s a chore because going to the bank is usually an item on a to-do list. (Personal side note: my wife is constantly amazed that I don’t carry any cash, even though most of my waking hours are spent in a bank. So when we need cash, visiting the bank on the weekend or taking a trip to the ATM becomes a to-do item.)

But there’s more to the studies. Several indicate that consumers actually consider banking in the same light as going to the dentist! That’s remarkable. Do you share this opinion? Why or why not? Is going to the bank like getting a routine cleaning, more like a root canal, or like something more enjoyable?

As one with marketing responsibilities for the bank and concerned about improving the experience for every customer, I’m curious to know why this perception exists, and what can be done to improve if not abolish it. Consequently, I’ve been doing a lot of reading lately. In fact, in the last three months I’ve read almost as many books and articles and papers as I did during my last year of college.

Most of the reading I’ve done is business related—marketing, branding, leadership, efficiency enhancement, and the like. And one common theme is emerging: the ability to actively engage customers, staff, management, peers, and prospective clients in meaningful positive ways is a key driver (if not the key driver) to improving the customer experience, the performance of staff members, and peer perception.

So I pose these questions (very transparently seeking to engage those willing or wanting to voice an opinion or participate in the conversation): In what way do you want your bank to actively engage with you? What kind of interaction do you value? What are your expectations? Is banking really just a chore?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean